Sunday, March 25, 2012

Shopping...yikes.

Well, I don't have another little shopping partner just yet. Today I had to parent a little more than she wanted. Nothing major, we're not ready for that, just simple things like making her get dressed when she shook her head no, or making her walk by me when she wants to take off without me. Until today all I wanted was for her to like me and start building some basic trust, we have started that process so I know we are headed in the right direction.

We were out touring and shopping and she was giving me the cold shoulder most of the morning. I wouldn't let her buy everything she pointed to and that made her mad. We had to leave the store and sit outside waiting for everyone else, and she pouted, big time!

We are learning, together, what it means for me to be her mom. We will be learning this for years, but as long as we are learning something new each day we are doing fine. I definitely wish, at times, I could be the "auntie," spoiling her, giving in to her every request, but God has given me a different roll. If I do not do my job I
doing a disservice to her, and that is the last thing this sweet girl needs. So I parent, in the best way I know how, and pray that God will fill in the gaps!

It is interesting, despite all of our battles today, I have received more spontaneous hugs and kisses than any other day! God's reward for my obedience? Perhaps.

2 comments:

  1. Allison, my husband's family is friends with the McNeely's at North Fresno Church, so I found your blog via Connie. I've really enjoyed reading about your adoption adventures. Lyla is a beautiful little girl! We've adopted 5 kids through the foster care system, so adoption is very dear to our heart.
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure my favorite shot is the one of her sticking out her tongue.

    ReplyDelete