Thursday, March 29, 2012

Last day!!!

As I am very excited to be reunited with the rest of my family, and after 11 long months ALL of us will finally be in the same place, it is bittersweet. Lyla will be leaving her birth country, one she spent 6 years in, one where sights, sounds and the language are familiar. I have no idea what it would feel like to leave everything familiar, permanently. Many will say that she will be going to a better life, and if you mean because she is now a part of a family, when she once wasn't, then yes, I agree. But the loss she has suffered, and will suffer when we board that plane are immeasurable. Some tend to overlook that adoption is born out of loss.

I hope that someday if Lyla has questions, concerns or even fears of her former life in her birth country, that I am able to present the truth with compassion. There are a lot of things here in China that just don't jive with American thinking, but that doesn't necessarily make the Chinese wrong or bad. Sometimes it's ugly, but I think if we look deep we all have a little "ugliness" that we are trying to hide.

I had our guide come and translate for me as I told Lyla what was going to happen tomorrow. I told her we were taking all of our things and getting on an airplane for a looooong time, we would have to eat and sleep on the airplane! (she thought that was hilarious) Then when we were finally done Daddy would be waiting for us and then take us to her new home, where Macey and Xander are. She just giggled while she snuggled into me and kept looking at me, the guide translated back that she was very excited. I know God has been protecting her heart for her first 6 years, because it appears like it is smiling...and coming out on her face!

On a lighter note, let me tell you a few things about Lyla that are a bit, let's say, unrefined. I guess maybe this should serve as your warning ;) The girl can slurp noodles like nobody's business! If you share a meal with us it's likely that she will eat noodles, so be prepared. It's the way the Chinese do it, so I'm not going to apologize for it, and not even sure if I will ever ask her to change it. However, the intense smacking that follows will be corrected, in time. :) The Chinese have no personal space, and neither does Lyla. Apparently, her eyes don't work very well because she WILL touch everything. I don't believe that gentleness is something taught in an orphanage, in fact it's probably frowned upon because it might indicate weakness. So, although she means no harm, guard yourself...and your children. But have I mentioned how AMAZING she is?!

See y'all soon!!!

2 comments:

  1. So glad your coming home! I've enjoyed your blog. I remember being so excited to get back to what was familiar to me but being so sad for her. Anyway, hope your flight home is enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious, precious girl.
    I have so loved following you on this journey. :) Praying for all that awaits you when you get home.

    ReplyDelete