Sunday, January 15, 2012

Excited little sister

I know this blog is about adoption and Lyla, and this still fits that category, but it's mostly about excited little sister Macey.

We've explained to the kids that Lyla will say different words than we do, we might not know what she is saying and she may not know what we are saying.  I've said that she speaks Chinese and we speak English.  Well, my kids are big fans of Kai Lan, so I explained that she speaks Chinese like Kai-Lan.  That seemed to help them understand.

Well, we've been talking a lot about the upcoming Chinese New Year, and that we get to celebrate it and they are getting very excited.  Any mention of the word party and my kids are ready to get involved.  Macey remembered that we had a Kai-Lan DVD of the Chinese New Year episode and asked to watch it today.  I put it on for her and came to the other room to work on the computer.  About 5 or so minutes later she came in and said "Lyla knows how to say Xin Nian Kuai Le."  It just made me smile so big!

The rest of the video she was repeating all the Chinese phrases and making sure I knew that Lyla knew how to say those words.  We talked about how when we meet Lyla we would say "Ni hao" instead of "Hi," so she has been practicing that for the afternoon.

Sweet girl, she is so excited to have a big sister! She looks at Lyla's pictures and always points to the ones where Lyla is smiling the biggest and says "This is the one we are going to get."  Apparently, she will not put up with a grumpy big sister, but after the last set of pictures we received, I'm thinking we'll see a lot fo smiling in our house!

1 comment: